Former Kenyan international Willis Ochieng has admitted that he’s still haunted by a decade-old match-fixing ghost that has followed him home from Finland since 2010.

Ochieng was part of the 12 IFK Mariehamn players who were accused by their manager Peter Mattson of being part of the racket that threw away two away matches in the Finnish league in 2010.

Ten years later the ghost of match-fixing resurfaced when a section of fans accused the former Simba SC player of being part of the cartel currently under investigation by Kenyan side Gor Mahia for allegedly throwing away games after he resigned from his position as a goalkeeper trainer last week.

“It’s hurting me and I just don’t know what to do,” Ochieng who denied any link with fixing the games at K’Ogalo said, adding that his resignation was purely based on club’s failure to pay him as agreed in his contract.

“This match-fixing ghost has been haunting me for the entire time I’ve been around,” the former Gor Mahia goalkeeper trainer admitted that he’s battling the ghost of match-fixing that emerged 10 years ago when he was playing in Finland.

Ochieng was first linked with match-fixing allegations when a renowned fixer – Singaporean Wilson Raj Perumal – was arrested in Finland. Perumal was suspected to have bribed players to throw away matches in the Finnish league since 2008 was apprehended over match-fixing claims.

But the former Harambee Stars goalkeeper who also played in South Africa admitted that the bad PR has stuck with him everywhere he goes. “It is so sad when even your wife says that you were bribed to throw away matches and yet you don’t have the money.”

“I’ve heard of so many stories,” he said in a phone interview with this writer.

“Some are saying that I resigned because I was involved in match-fixing. That is not true because if you look at Gor Mahia at the moment, the team is out of form. If someone claims that we were fixing games, then why can’t they ask themselves why we are not scoring,” Ochieng challenged.

“It would have made sense if we were scoring goals and conceding at the same time, but if you look at the past games, our strikers have been so blunt.”

Ochieng was said to have pocketed close to $70, 500 in bribes in connection with two away games that IFK Mariehamn lost in September and October 2010.

But when asked how he managed to survive for 14 months without pay, Ochieng explained:

“People must understand that I’ve played professional football for a long time. I’ve played in South Africa for three years. I played in Finland, Sweden and also in Tanzania and the national team.

“Did they expect me to play for all that long and come out without a single investment?

‘You think I can’t even afford a water-vending business,” said Ochieng who also claims to own a house at a posh estate in Milimani Estate in Kisumu City.

“I only pay rent in Nairobi because I have my own home in Kisumu. These are some of the investments I made while still playing.

But Ochieng insists that Gor Mahia still owes him money. “It is just proper to make the records straight. I am owed a lot of money by the club. The 14 months that I stated in my resignation letter are spread across the entire time I was at Gor Mahia because there are months that I would be paid half salary and months that I missed the entire amount.

At one time, Ochieng was under Fifa investigation over match-fixing at the Harambee Stars. In that probe, defender George ‘Wise’ Owino was found guilty of match-fixing and slapped with a 10-year ban.

“I’ve been accused several times for fixing games but unfortunately, those in front of me, the defenders, were the ones involved in that deal. I was cleared. So people should stop maligning my name