Tobi Amusan of Nigeria is the only African athlete announced among five finalists for Women’s World Athlete of the Year, as the countdown to the World Athletics Awards 2022 continues.
The confirmed finalists represent five countries from three area associations after achieving sensational performances across a range of athletics disciplines in 2022, at the World Athletics Championships Oregon22, World Athletics Indoor Championships Belgrade 22, one-day meeting circuits and other events around the world.
Nigeria’s Tobi Amusan made it to the final list as the current World 100m hurdles champion. Amusan is also the Diamond League, Commonwealth and African 100m hurdles champion. She Set a world 100m hurdles record of 12.12
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, JAM
– World 100m champion, claiming a fifth gold medal in the event
– Diamond League 100m champion
– Ran a world-leading 10.62 among her record seven sub-10.70 100m races of the season
Kimberly Garcia, PER
– World 20km race walk champion, winning Peru’s first ever World Athletics Championships medal
– World 35km race walk champion in a South American record to complete a race walk double
– World Athletics Race Walking Team Championships 20km bronze medallist
Sydney McLaughlin, USA
– World 400m hurdles and 4x400m champion
– Broke the world 400m hurdles record with 51.41 at the US Championships
– Further improved the world record to 50.68 to win the world title
Yulimar Rojas, VEN
– World indoor and outdoor triple jump champion
– Diamond League triple jump champion
– Improved her world record to 15.74m in Belgrade
The World Athletics Council and the World Athletics Family cast their votes by email, while fans logged their decisions online via the World Athletics social media platforms where a record 1.3 million votes were registered.
The World Athletics Council’s vote counted for 50% of the result, while the World Athletics Family’s votes and the public votes each counted for 25% of the final result.
Voting closed on 31 October.
The World Athletes of the Year will be announced on World Athletics’ social media platforms in early December, as part of the World Athletics Awards 2022.
Additional reporting by the World Athletics- Advertisement -